Setting the standard for adolescent psychiatric care in Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C., metropolitan region, Dominion Hospital offers comprehensive services to identify and treat today’s difficult issues facing teens ages 13 to 17. Those 18 years and older are referred to our program.
Your best choice for adolescent mental health care
When you need help for emotional, behavioral or mental health issues, our adolescent program is your best choice for care. We specialize in stabilizing crisis situations through effective intervention. Our multispecialty team approach leads to successful outcomes.
We work with families to help everyone understand the diagnosis and develop an individual plan tailored specifically to manage your adolescent’s care in the least restrictive environment possible. Program components include:
- Psychoeducation provides information about causes and effects of the particular mental illness you are battling. It allows you to expand your understanding of your condition, reduce feelings of helplessness and increase opportunities for better self-care.
- Psychotherapy employs evidence-based treatment methods, such as cognitive behavioral, dialectical behavioral, solution-focused, family and group therapies, to enhance you sense of well-being.
- Expressive therapy groups incorporate art, dance/movement, music, yoga and recreation therapies to help address key emotional, behavioral or mental health issues.
- Adolescent psychopharmacology uses medication to assist in treatment. The team at Dominion Hospital only implements this component of treatment where it is deemed appropriate.
Multiple levels of care to meet individual needs
Our highly structured inpatient and partial programs feature psychological and expressive therapy groups , family meetings and education services. Supportive peer group communities promote personal growth and understanding.
Our therapeutic process helps teens learn effective coping skills while teaching them to take an active role in their own recovery and recognize available support sources. Family members participate through a series of meetings that focus on discharge planning and resources to assist with, and possibly prevent, a future crisis.
When 24/7 monitoring is needed, our inpatient program offers 24-hour nursing care and full psychiatric services in a safe and structured environment. Medical supervision by highly qualified mental health professionals, many of whom are board-certified in adolescent psychiatry, means teens receive appropriate individual assessment, intervention, education, supportive therapies and discharge planning.
Choices adolescent partial hospitalization program is a short-term, intensive program serving adolescents ages 13 to 17. The program provides a flexible treatment option for those that may need a more gradual transition from an inpatient stay. The partial hospitalization program can also be utilized as a preventive measure to an inpatient admission for individuals experiencing an increase in symptoms and require a more intensive treatment structure than traditional outpatient therapy can provide.
Intensive outpatient program
Choices adolescent intensive outpatient program provides an intermediate level of care for adolescents. The program specializes in treating adolescents ages 13 to 17 that are able to function at school and in the community, but need more structure support than traditional outpatient therapy can provide.
We offer two convenient locations
- 6565 Arlington Blvd., Suite 101 Falls Church, VA 22042
- 14501 George Carter Way, Suite 109 Chantilly, VA 20151
Dominion Hospital understands the unique mental health needs of adolescents. While our primary focus is on delivering mental health care, we also provide education services to support our inpatient and partial school-age patients during their admission. Dominion Hospital offers patients access to their schoolwork; however, we are not a school and do not provide direct instruction or give grades. Dominion supports patients’ engagement with learning.
Our education support services
- Our education services team consults directly with appropriate school personnel to address school stressors related to admission and explore available school assistance where applicable.
- The learning lab is available to all patients except for the off-site outpatient programs. The lab is equipped with a SMART Board, laptops and a printer for patient use. We encourage all of our school-age patients to work on their schoolwork while they are in the hospital during the academic calendar year.
Benefits of our treatment
Our experienced clinicians excel in identifying symptoms, creating comprehensive treatment plans and providing effective clinical care. We match the level of care to the individual level of need. Patients are able to benefit from access to physicians, nursing staff, social work staff, expressive therapists and educators. We also strive to provide a supportive learning environment while your adolescent is focusing on their mental health treatment.
Learn more about school refusal as a potential symptom of deeper mental health issues in adolescents.