Our Commitment to Patient Safety
Patient safety is a top priority at Dominion Hospital. We continually work to ensure the highest level of patient safety throughout our facilities—using best practices, improved technology and increased patient involvement in their healthcare. In particular, we employ safety measures appropriate in a behavioral health setting. Every member of our staff is dedicated to:
- Providing you with a safe, healthy and secure environment
- Performing our jobs carefully and competently
- Using safe and effective practices and technologies
- Responding to your wants and needs in a timely manner
- Ensuring timely communications between caregivers and patients by answering questions about your treatment and your health, providing you with specific information about your care and explaining changes in your treatment
You'll appreciate the safe and secure environment you'll find at Dominion Hospital. Learn what can and can't be brought to the hospital as you or your loved ones prepare for your stay.
At Dominion Hospital, you can help us deliver the highest level of care possible by providing details about yourself and asking us any questions you may have. You may want to talk with us about:
- Prescription medications you take
- Over-the-counter medications you use or commonly use for pain, headaches, cough, cold or other ailments
- Natural remedies or alternative medications you use
- Any recreational drugs you may use
- Concerns or questions you have about your medications
- Anything you know or remember about allergies or reactions to medications you've had in the past
- Your diet, including foods and beverages you typically consume
Before receiving medication, a treatment or any service, be sure the armband has your name and that other information can be checked. Also ask us:
- What is the name of this medication? Is this the brand name or the generic name?
- What is the medication for?
- How much should I get and how often?
- What are the possible side effects?
- Do you have anything I can read about this medication?
- Will this replace anything I was taking before I came to Dominion?
- Has this medication been on the market for more than a year?
If anything catches your attention or you notice anything different, ask.
Infection prevention is a serious challenge facing healthcare organizations around the world. Dominion Hospital and our parent company HCA are at the forefront of the ongoing effort to protect patients from infections during a hospital stay. Learn more about our corporate infection prevention programs.
At Dominion Hospital, we're keenly aware of our responsibility to ensure medications are administered correctly and on time. When a medication is given to you, it's checked and documented on a Medication Administration Record stored in your electronic medical record. Our advanced Electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR) & Bar-Coding technology provides a system of checks and balances to help ensure medications are dispensed safely and effectively. We encourage patients and their support team members to share this responsibility.