As a premium provider of adult mental health care in Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C., metropolitan region, Dominion Hospital has a proven track record of helping adults of all ages cope with the challenges of life.
Your Best Choice for Adult Mental Health Care
When you need help for emotional, behavioral or mental health issues, our adult program is your best choice for care. We specialize in stabilizing crisis situations through effective intervention. Our multispecialty team approach leads to successful outcomes.
We work with you and—with your permission—your loved ones to help stabilize your symptoms, understand your diagnosis and develop a plan tailored specifically to help you manage your illness in the least restrictive environment possible. Program components include:
- Psychoeducation – Provides information about causes and effects of the particular mental illness to expand understanding of the condition, reduce feelings of helplessness and increase opportunities for better self-care
- Psychotherapy – Employs evidence-based treatment methods, such as cognitive behavioral, dialectical behavioral, solution-focused, family and group therapies, to enhance your sense of well-being
- Expressive therapy groups – Incorporate art, dance/movement, music, yoga and recreation therapies to help address key emotional, behavioral or mental health issues that may not be accessible through words.
- Psychopharmacology – Uses medication to assist in treatment, when appropriate
Multiple Levels of Care to Meet Individual Needs
Our highly structured programs—both inpatient and partial—feature psychological, educational and expressive therapy groups. Supportive peer group communities promote personal growth and understanding.
Our therapeutic process focuses on recovery through goal setting, gender-specific issues, medication education, planning for your life after discharge and other topics relevant to your individual circumstances.
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is one of the most effective therapies for depression and other psychiatric disorders and offers positive results for 85 percent of patients.
When round-the-clock monitoring is needed, our inpatient program offers 24-hour nursing care and full psychiatric services in a safe and structured environment. Medical supervision by highly qualified mental health professionals means you receive appropriate individual assessment, intervention, education, supportive therapies and discharge planning.
Partial Hospitalization Program
Separate from our inpatient adult unit, Dominion Hospital’s Partial Program combines a highly structured environment during the day with the opportunity for you to spend evenings at home. Suitable for adults who need assessment to identify and treat issues beyond the scope of outpatient services, our Partial Hospitalization Program offers a productive mix of personalized treatment, supportive therapies and individual development.
How You Benefit
Our experienced clinicians excel in identifying symptoms, creating comprehensive treatment plans and providing effective clinical care. We match the level of care to the individual level of need. You benefit from:
- Physicians – Work with you to diagnose your condition, manage symptoms, assess the need for medication and decide when you are stable enough to move to the next level of care
- Nursing staff – Monitor the program for safety 24 hours a day, provide a safe and healing environment, educate you and encourage your progress
- Social work staff – Meet with you and—with your permission—your loved ones to identify issues and stressors and set up a plan to maintain safety and continue therapy after discharge
- Expressive therapists – Introduce a variety of complementary therapy techniques—including art, dance/movement, music and recreation activities—to help you find alternative forms of expression and communication